Monday, January 24, 2011

Watercress!

Oh delight of winter! Watercress pops up in the icy cold creek, a superfood with more goodies for the body than brocolli. Google it and see. Inspired by my sister Jennifer, a very creative cook, I used it to make an out of this world pesto! I am what my adopted mom Frannie would call a "willy nilly" cook. This means imprecise quantities. No matter, this is to taste so you can adjust it anyway you like.

Into a food processor with the chopping blade inserted place:
2 large handfuls of watercress
2 large handfuls of fresh spinach leaves
As many cloves of fresh garlic as you like!
About 1/4 cup or so of grated parmesan cheese
1 small handful of unsalted nuts, I use whatever  I have on hand (walnut, pecan, almond, pine)
Pinch of salt

Begin to process and add Olive oil until you have the pesto paste. That's it.

We used it on top of Gnocchi along with some tomato sauce for a gorgeous and healthy dinner.
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment